Giving

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Good times

This week has been quite eventful! Because school is starting again, all of the summer programs are over and all of the volunteers have new jobs. My job is going to be taking over for one of the girls who is leaving in 3 weeks, so at the moment I am just helping out in different projects and spending a lot of time in the houses with the kids. Also, a few new volunteers arrived, and the founder of the orphanage came to visit. Lots of new faces!
Due to reasons unknown, I was especially emotional and sensitive this week. I kept crying! When the teenage girls were being disrespectful and mean to me in class the other day, I burst into tears. When the teenage boys were listening to music that was not allowed, I had to take it away. I started bawling my eyes out because they got mad at me. As ridiculous as it was for me to become so upset over all of this, in some ways I believe it was good for them to realize how much their words can hurt people sometimes. It was very sweet, though, when the other children saw me. I had a very comforting group hug =). And the older kids did apologize. I think what happened was that I had previously put myself in the role of their friend, and when the time came for me to act as authority, neither end could handle it. I love to hang out and play with them so much that I don´t always remember that I need to establish a role of authority, as well. Finding the right balance is going to be a necessary challenge for me.
Oh, oh, oh! I have been challenged to a cheesecake bake off! There is actually a guy who thinks he can make one better than me =O. Quite impossible, I assure you. After all, I learned from the best. If I win, I get to cut his hair. But if he wins, I am forbidden to eat with my hands(he finds it disgusting). The winner is by popular vote, and I am super psyched!
From now on, I am determined to stay more updated on my blogging, so everyone can count on a minimum of one entry a week. Thank you everyone for all the love and support.

1 comment: